Sunday, January 31, 2016

Region Four Meet 2016

Timp Sports Weekly
February 1. 2016


Publisher's Message

For this week's issue, our cover story will be the Region Four swim meet, held Jan. 30 at the South Davis Recreation Center in Bountiful. We will also look at the Ferocious Pleasant Grove Vikings' wins over the Lehi Pioneers, AKA the Froggies, in boys and girls' basketball action. We will also see how the Herriman Mustangs, AKA the Pretty Ponies, dried up the Froggies in a girls' basketball game at Lehi Jan. 24. As they say in Lehi, let's stroke straight to those stories.

Dean Von Memmott
Publisher

Lone Peak Loners, Westlake Shockers Have Heyday in Winning Gold Medals at Region 4 Swim Meet
By Dean Von Memmott
Timp Sports Weekly Publisher

The Lone Peak Knights, AKA the Loners, and the Westlake Thunder, AKA the Shockers, had a heyday at winning gold medals at the Region Four swim meet, held Jan. 24 at Bountiful's South Davis Recreation Center.

The Loners' girls 200-yard medley relay team won the first gold medal. A third member of that team, Kenzie Chelser said, "We really want to put extra effort into our event." Chesler herself went on to win the girls' 200-yard individual medley. She said, "I cut my time down by two seconds in my race."

The Loners also won the boys' 200-yard medley relay. The anchor for that team, Nicky Mortensen said, "We had the region title nailed down when our backstroker, Josh Reis, did his turn in the event. He cut down his time by a few seconds to ensure that we would win the event. We all went our fastest times in our race."

"I was so pumped in my winning the girls' 200 free," said Natalie Davis of Lone Peak. "I posted a new personal best in the race."

Loner Bryant "Hai" Kirrattti won the boys' 200-yard freestyle. He said, "I was seeded third for the 200 free. It feels so good to finish first in it."

Loner Spencer "Ya Who Mountain" Dew won the boys' 200-yard individual medley. He said, "I'm so stoked in having posted by best time in my race today. My win got me seeded first at state."

Shockers Kenzie Ford and Kim Petersen interrupted the string of Loner wins at the region meet. Both Shockers won first-place medals in the girls and boys' versions of the 50-yard and 100-yard freestyles. In receiving the girls' championship medal, Ford said, "With today being my best time in the 50, I dropped my time by 1 1/2 seconds. I prepped for my race by focusing on my efforts and staying calm in the high stress situation found at region meets."

"I didn't focus on the other swimmers in my heat," Petersen said. "I focused strictly on how I would do. Jimmy Dock gave me strong competition in the 100 free. That made me want to perform better. That's why I won it, thanks to Jimmy."

Awesome Cavewomen McKenna King won the girls' 100-yard butterfly. She said, "I took my time off by 1 1/2 seconds. I didn't know until I hit the wall for the final time that I had won my race. I took region in the 100-yard butterfly twice in the last four years. This is the third time I've won it. I took third in it at one region meet." King also took second in the girls' 200-yard freestyle.

Westlake won the boys and girls' 200-yard freestyle relays. 

Lehi Coach Dennis Meyring said, "We had great improvements among our swimmers."

Pleasant Grove Coach Lisa Harris said, "I thought our kids had posted some really good times. We're going to have several kids represent us at state."

No comments:

Post a Comment